ICYMI: IRS Ending Certain Transcript Faxing Services
On June 28, 2019 the IRS will end its faxing service for individual and business tax transcripts, and on July 1, 2019, the IRS will end its third-party mailing options from the Form 4506 series.
IRS announced numerous safeguards to protect taxpayer transcripts last year, and the agency has worked with professional associations to assure that tax and accounting professionals still have access to the information needed for tax preparation.
The IRS has presented alternatives which require you to register and have an e-Services account that is protected by two-factor authentication. Tax professionals also have several options to obtain tax transcripts necessary for tax preparation or representation as follows:
- Use IRS.gov or the IRS2Go app to access Get Transcript Online; after verifying their identities, taxpayers may immediately download or print their transcript, or
- Use IRS.gov or the IRS2Go app to access Get Transcript by Mail; transcript will be delivered within 10 days to the address of record, or
- Call 800-908-9946 for an automated Get Transcript by Mail feature, or
- Submit Form 4506-T or 4506T-EZ to have a transcript mailed to the address of record.
Tax professionals also have several options to obtain tax transcripts necessary for tax preparation or representation as follows:
- Request that the IRS mail a transcript to the taxpayer's address of record, or
- Use e-Services' Transcript Delivery System online to obtain masked individual transcripts and business transcripts, or
- Obtain a masked individual transcript or a business transcript by calling the IRS, faxing authorization to the IRS assistor and the IRS assistor will place the document in the tax practitioner's e-Services secure mailbox.
When needed for tax preparation purposes, tax practitioners may:
- Obtain an unmasked wage and income transcript by calling the IRS, faxing authorization to the IRS assistor and the IRS assistor will place the document in the tax practitioner's e-Services secure mailbox, or
- Obtain an unmasked wage and income transcript if authorization is already on file by using e-Service's Transcript Delivery System.
The wage and income transcript is the only unmasked transcript that will be available to tax practitioners.
Reminder: Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants and Enrolled Agents (i.e. Circular 230 practitioners) can create an e-Services account and obtain access to the Transcript Delivery System and the e-Services secure mailbox. Unenrolled practitioners must either be responsible parties or delegated users on an E-File application.
The IRS urges tax professionals to register for e-Services or update existing e-File application information to ensure that all appropriate personnel have e-Services mailbox and TDS access.