FANNIE MAE ANNOUNCES CHANGES TO "SELLING GUIDE":
We updated the Selling Guide to establish the following requirements for virtual currency (such as cryptocurrencies):
- Income paid in the form of virtual currency may not be considered when qualifying a borrower.
- Assets used to establish continuance for certain income types cannot be in the form of virtual currency.
- The purchase price of the property and any earnest money deposit may not be designated in virtual currency.
- The payment used as rental income must be in U.S. dollars.
- Payment on any installment debt secured by virtual currency must be included in the debt-to-income ratio calculation.
Virtual currency that has been exchanged into U.S. dollars is acceptable for the down payment, closing costs, and financial reserves provided
- there is documented evidence that the virtual currency was exchanged into U.S. dollars and is held in a U.S. or state regulated financial institution, and
- the funds are verified in U.S. dollars prior to the loan closing. Effective: These policies are effective immediately.