RR1. Deferral and Exclusion Transactions and Hidden Traps Involving Divorce | On-Demand
- Course Description
This course reviews the federal income tax issues involving individual taxpayers who are legally separated, going through the process of divorce or who have completed the final steps of divorce proceedings. The course discusses Internal Revenue Code §1041 Transfers of Property Between Spouses or Incident to Divorce. It introduces the general rule that no gain or loss will be recognized on the transfer of property because of divorce.
The course discusses traps of transferring assets, such as personal and rental real estate, U.S. Savings Bonds and more. The session includes basis calculations and deferral of income issues.
The course discusses §71 inclusion of alimony and §215 deductibility both before and afterthe “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act”.
- Learning Objectives
At the conclusion of the session the participant will have an understanding of the issues concerning the transfer of assets between spouses incident to a divorce and the tax implications associated with the transfer. The participant will also understand the issues relating to receiving and paying alimony both before and after the changes imposed by the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act”.
To receive the member price, first log into your member account. Your member discount will then be automatically applied. We can also take your registration by phone.
Your registration confirmation will be emailed to you when your payment is processed. During our busy season, this can take up to 2-3 business days after we receive your registration.
Yes. If you have a PTIN on file with us, we will submit your hours. To insure we have your correct info, please provide your PTIN when you register for a course. Please notify us if you have recently submitted a name change request to the IRS.
Your certificate will be emailed to you within 10 business days of the completion of the course.
- Once your registration confirmation is emailed, due to the proprietary materials and content of On-Demand orders are NOT ELIGIBLE for refund, cancellation, or transfer to another NSTP course.
- On-Demand materials and On-Demand presentations are intended to stimulate thought and discussion and to provide attendees useful ideas and guidance in the areas of federal taxation and administration. These materials as well as the comments of the instructors do not constitute and should not be treated as tax advice regarding the use of any tax procedure, tax planning technique, device or suggestion, or any of the tax consequences associated with them.
- Although the NSTP has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of the materials and the seminar presentation, neither the author, the presenter nor the National Society of Tax Professionals assumes any responsibility for any individual’s reliance on the written or oral information presented during the presentation. Each attendee should verify independently all statements made in the materials, and during the seminar presentation, before applying them to a particular fact pattern and should determine independently the tax and other consequences of using any device, technique, or suggestion before recommending the same to a client or implementing the same on behalf of a client, or on the attendee’s own behalf.
- On-Demand materials & presentations are fully protected under copyright law. Any attempt to copy for resale, distribution, or use other than personal use for tax preparation will be fully prosecuted of the law.
- On-Demand require a test for CPE. 3 attempts are allowed.
- You have 1 (one) year from date of purchase to complete the On-Demand course by taking the test.